Author’s Corner: Why You Need to Read My Book



Why You Need to Read My Book

by Joanne Troppello

I’ve been preparing for a radio interview and I just completed the second part of interview questions. One of the main questions that stuck out in my mind was why should people read my book?

If you’re an author, it seems like you should be able to answer that question. However, that seemed like a difficult question for me to answer.

Throughout the process of writing my book and finding a publisher, then signing a contract and having it published—somewhere in the middle of all that chaos I created my own marketing plan.

A Work in Progress

However, after answering the questions asked by the radio station about my branding statement and why should people read my book I’ve come to the conclusion, that marketing your book is really a work in progress. This is especially true for a writer who would rather be writing than marketing. I think most writers would rather be writing their next book instead of marketing the one they just completed. Maybe some writers have no problem talking up their book to everyone they meet.

However, I’m more of an introvert. Talking about me is not usually the first thing that comes up when I meet someone new. If we talk long enough, maybe my books will come up in the conversation.

So, I tossed around some ideas for a branding statement and came up with Joanne Troppello, writing contemporary romance with a classic feel. I’m not certain that’s a keeper, but for now it’ll have to do…at least as an answer for the radio station questions.

My Target Audience

Another question asked if I knew my target audience and how was I trying to reach them. That’s a great question that every author needs to know the answer to. Responding to this question gave me the chance to reevaluate what I was doing to reach this target market.

All of the book marketing articles, books, blogs and info from experts that I’ve read has brought me to the conclusion that I am headed in the right direction, doing what needs to be done for marketing my book. I have a website. I publish a magazine and can advertise my books on this site. I write several columns each month for the magazine. I write articles for Copywriters.com and get a byline to my magazine site. I am active on social networks and use the #WritingCommunity hashtag often. I only promote 20 percent of the time on social media and engage with people the other 80 percent. I’ve done written interviews for blogs and have sent review copies of my books to reviewers. I have 21 columnist who write for Mustard Seed Sentinel. I am trying everything I can do to get the word out about my magazine and books.

Slow, Organic Growth is Ok

So why doesn’t it always look like my marketing efforts are working? They really are, but just not as quickly as I’d like. And organically growing your readership base for your books and blogs is a good thing. I’ve come to realize that this slower process is okay. I need to continually focus on branding my name, not just marketing my books and I need to persevere.

As my husband said the other day, the ones that give up won’t succeed. Thanks, my DH, for being my biggest fan. I will take those words to heart and never give up and just keep on writing and sharing about my books.

About the Author


Joanne Troppello is a published author of 3 inspirational fiction novels and the Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of Mustard Seed Sentinel.

She has experience as a freelance writer in topics such as marketing, retail marketing, health and wellness, internet and media, travel and lifestyle, website content, app recommendations, and content for blogs.

Visit her Amazon Author Page for more information regarding her books. Connect with Joanne on Twitter.


#BookMarketing #AuthorsCorner #Copywriters #OrganicGrowth

0 comments